Methods: A prospective observational study was conducted and a total of 100 patients (age- 3 to 12 years) of phimosis were enrolled. The management consisted of topical application of 0.05% betamethasone Ointment for 4 weeks. Those with partial response were advised additional 2 weeks of therapy. Failure to treatment cases were subsequently subjected to circumcision.
Results: Total 100 patients were enrolled in the study. Out of 100 patients, 9 were excluded because of non-compliance and remaining 91 patients were studied and followed up. 85 cases out of 91 (93.4%) were declared a ‘success’; while remaining 6 (6.6%) were declared ‘failure’ and were subjected to circumcision. Of the 85 successfully treated; majority (70, 82.3%) responded within 4 weeks of treatment and 15 (17.6%) responded in 6 weeks. The highest number of patients who responded to treatment within 4 weeks were < 5 years of age (54, 93.1%) (p<0.05).
Conclusions: Topical steroid (0.05% betamethasone ointment) is an effective, safe, conservative and non-surgical method of primary treatment of childhood Phimosis, especially when combined with good hygiene practices of foreskin with daily retraction and cleansing.
There is no skin like foreskin