Fatou Wurie: Inner-Standing the Ritual of Circumcision

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Fatou Wurie: Inner-Standing the Ritual of Circumcision

Bondo [gemeint ist FGM] , I came to understand, manifests itself differently and uniquely across cultures that practice it. It differs based on context, religious acceptance, cultural understanding and geographical spaces. What remains clear though is its multiplicity and complexity. In Sierra Leone, Bondo is a society for the women by the women. It is much less about the cutting and much more about larger social notions of womanhood and strength. It is space where women exercise power, exchange deep traditional knowledge of child bearing, and institute community support.

Während uns hier immer verzählt wird, dass FGM üble patriarchalische Unterdrückung von Frauen wäre. Und deswegen böse. Und dass es bei FGM nicht um Religion gehe (was so generell nicht stimmt). Und MGM wäre dagegen gelebte Religionsfreiheit, und von daher gut.
      Dabei ist der Mechanismus 1:1 der selbe: die Mutter möchte, dass die Tochter so wird wie sie selbst, und der Vater möchte, dass der Sohn so wird wie er selbst.

Und der Ausgrenzungsmechanismus ist der selbe: bist du nicht verstümmelt, hast du nicht die vollen Rechte:

I too followed, eager to see my grandmother's body; however before I could enter I was told to stand back. I was not allowed to enter the room nor see my grandmother until she was prepared for her burial.