Natalie Bivas, eine sehr gläubige Dame, entscheidet sich für die Brit Shalom

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Natalie Bivas, eine sehr gläubige Dame, entscheidet sich für die Brit Shalom

Natalie Bivas erzählt von ihrem Leben, ihren inneren Konflikten und dem Prozess, der sie schließlich zu der Entscheidung brachte, die Beschneidung für ihren Sohn abzulehnen. Weder sie selbst noch ihren Sohn hielt dies davon ab, religiös zu sein und sich aktiv mit dem Judentum zu identifizieren. Dennoch war der Weg auch teilweise schwierig, Frau Bivas rang mit ihrer Entscheidung vor der Geburt und musste auch ihren Mann davon überzeugen. Sie verlor eine Freundin. Doch sie bereut ihre Entscheidung nicht.

Choosing to leave our boy intact hasn’t diminished our Jewish involvement. My husband and I belong to two congregations in Palo Alto, California. We’ve belonged to the Conservative synagogue for at least 25 years and are associate members of the Reform temple where we attend Torah study. I am a member of the Jewish Community Relations Council. My husband, who was exiled from Egypt, is an active member of JIMENA and does presentations about Jews exiled from Arab countries. I am an advocate for Israel and have twice volunteered on supply bases with Sar-El. I have had many pro-Israel letters published in newspapers and magazines.

I think circumcision is wrong, is mutilation, and parents have no right to mutilate their child’s body. I would advise parents who are on the fence about this decision to have the strength of their convictions because others have gone before them. These days Jewish identity is so weak, and intermarriage among Jews so high, that no parent should think circumcision is the act upon which their child will identify. Parents who are concerned about fostering their child’s Jewish identity would be better off focusing on other aspects of Judaism. So, in short, I’d say, “stand your ground.”
      Beyond the Bris