J. Steven Svoboda: When the Political Becomes Personal: Circumcision as a Cause and as a Parental Decision

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• J. Steven Svoboda: When the Political Becomes Personal: Circumcision as a Cause and as a Parental Decision

A few months after the Geneva trip, when it came time in early 2002 for my son's birth on the US territory of Guam, I naturally was never going to agree to the procedure. Nevertheless, I was trying not to inject my own beliefs into the arrival of my first child. My children's mother, while Jewish, is a pediatrician who always had some doubts about the wisdom of circumcision and easily agreed with my desire to keep our son intact. No one in either of our families had any serious problems with our decision.
      The nurse at the hospital in Guam where my wife worked and gave birth asked me a total of five separate times if I wanted my son to be circumcised. Each time, I answered, "No," without saying more, until the fifth time, when I politely added, "You do know that there is no medical reason for this to be done, right?" The nurse replied in a chirpy voice, "I know." I then asked, "Why do you ask parents about it then?" She replied, "Because they want it sometimes." Well, the odd thing about that is there is no other medically unnecessary procedure on their children for which parents are repeatedly solicited.
      My son had zero issues after being left intact, and how could it be otherwise? My advice, naturally, to parents expecting boys (or girls, or intersex children, for that matter) is to educate yourself. You will learn, the more you look into these issues, that there are thousands of people around the world, including countless physicians and other experts, who believe childhood circumcision is as outmoded, useless, and as harmful a practice as footbinding.
      muse.jhu.edu/pub/1/article/909659/summary
      Vorhaut hat Vorteile. Sonst gäbe es sie nicht.
    • She replied, "Because they want it sometimes."
      Was für eine gequirlter Quark! Die ehrliche Antwort wäre gewesen: Weil es für unsere Klinik GELD bringt.
      Denn sonst hätte sie nicht fünfmal gefragt. Hätten die Eltern bei der ersten Frage "Ja" gesagt, hätte sie garantiert nicht noch viermal "Ja, wollen sie den Jungen denn wirklich beschneiden lassen?" gefragt.
      Was heißt denn "sometimes"? Bei der ersten Frage wollen sie es nicht, aber bei der fünften? Bullshit!
      Vorhaut hat Vorteile. Sonst gäbe es sie nicht.